November 12, 2014

Why I Miss Writing


And when I say writing, I mean my school paper writing. Hahaha! As you can see, I write as much as I can, because I merely cannot live without it. I had to give up my position in our school paper because there is this certain rule in our high school: you can't join in two orgs that are in the same cluster. My two orgs were debate and the school paper, and they were in the same cluster. I decided to choose debate because (1) we had very limited members while our school paper had a lot and (2) I felt like I could be exposed to more kinds of people and travel more in debate. True enough, I was able to travel because of debate and I was exposed to all kinds of people.

But even if I had a really great time debating, I can't help but miss writing for our school paper. Writing for a group of students felt different; it somehow added pressure but I loved it. I am typing this blogpost because I just want to relieve some moments, and enumerate why I super duper miss legit writing.

1.) It squeezes my creative juices.

Sure, debate may squeeze my creative juices, too. But, debate is more on the technical side, defending this and that. I am a feature writer, so the struggle of thinking a topic that will interest high school students is very real. I was really pressured, but it felt fulfilling how after days of brainstorming, I found the perfect topic. When you are a feature writer, you try your best to write in the way that it won't bore the reader; that the reader would make it until the end of your article. If you want your creative juices to be squeezed to it's limits, be a feature writer.

2.) It shows my humorous side that I thought I never had.
My friends always tell me that I rarely throw benta jokes, so being a writer shows my humorous side. I make sure that each article I create has something that would make the reader giggle. Ny teacher told me once that he misses my article because they always have this sense of humor in them, and it flatters me. Hahaha! I have a future in the comedy world... when I am writing.

3.) It's my first love.
Probably the first skill I think I mastered is writing. It's the first hobby I thought that I could do forever. Before debating, writing was the only thing I was proud of myself for doing. Back in elementary, where I applied for the first time in a school paper, I was shaking. I did not know if my writing skills were good enough for them. Lucky enough, it was!  And the best part was, when I was in my last year in elementary, I was the editor-in-chief of our paper! I felt so responsible during that time, checking all articles and writing a lot as well. Applying for the high school paper was more nerve-wrecking. IT WAS HIGH SCHOOL. IT'S A DIFFERENT WORLD. I was so happy when I made the cut. But I was equally devastated when I had to quit the job.

Currently, I am planning to be a contributor; someone who isn't part of the paper but contributes articles. My brain is itching for another article, the pressure of having a deadline, and the fulfillment of seeing your article publsihed in the school paper (hopefully it gets published!). Missing writing this much proves how first love never dies.

— Iana the Banana

No comments:

Post a Comment